John T. Jones is the
son of the following couple:
1. Abel Jones. 1816 -
2. Martha Ann Underwood. 1814 - 1872.
John and his brother
Rees married sisters. Rees married Caroline Rhoades. John married
her sister, Matilda Rhodes.
John and Matilda
married in Edina, Knox County, Missouri on December 3, 1861. Their
children were as follows:
1. Infant (probably
named Charles). Born August 31, 1862 or more likely February 10,
1863. Died one month later on March 10, 1863.
2. Caroline (Carrie) Belle Jones was born October 17, 1863.
3. Alexander (Alec) Oliver Jones was born June 4, 1866.
4. Martha (Mattie) Hester Jones was born February 14, 1872.
John and Matilda's
grandchildren are as follows:
Carrie Belle and her
husband Frank Lowe had seven children who were as follows:
1. Guy Whittemore
Lowe. Born July 22nd, 1885.
2. Anna (Ann) Leach Lowe. Born February 19, 1888.
3. Franklin (Alex) Alexander Lowe. Born Feb. 16, 1890.
4. Alliance Belle Lowe. Born February 23rd, 1892.
5. Beatrice Estella Lowe. Born March 4, 1894.
6. William Bryan Lowe. Born October 23, 1896.
7. Georgia Belle Lowe. Born June 2, 1899.
Many of the Lowes
married and produced children of their own.
Parkfield's Viola May Redmond, sister of the famous deaf-mute
artist, Granville S. Redmond, on June 1st 1891. Alec and May had two
1. Carrie Lavina
Jones. Born March 18th, 1892.
2. Edward Munson Jones. Born in 1896 (possibly died at birth).
Edward Munson died as
an infant on November 8, 1896 due to a premature birth or “want of
vitality”. Alec died of consumption (tuberculosis) complicated by
"lung fever" (pneumonia) on February 23, 1897 at the age of 30.
Carrie was thrown from a horse and died between 1902 and 1906. She
died at the age of 10 per her tombstone and at the age of 13 per
family accounts. May remarried. She and her second husband James
Lancaster lived in Los Angeles. They had a son named Hayden in 1902.
May died on May 11, 1947 in Los Angeles.
Mattie married John
Robertson Work in 1889. John assembled a 10,000 acre ranch in upper
Ranchita Canyon near San Miguel, California. The Work children were
1. Angela (Gela)
Matilda Work. Born June 6, 1892.
2. John Thomas Work. Born January 2, 1894.
3. Robertson (Robert) Rhodes Work. Born Dec. 3, 1895.
4. Janet Belle Work. Born March 11, 1897.
5. Alice Marie Work. Born June 14, 1900.
Only Robert married.
Both he and his wife Mard are included in the Find-a-Grave indexes.
John T. Jones owned a
small ranch in Lowes Canyon near San Miguel in California.
During his lifetime,
John knew Abraham Lincoln. He also knew George Donner, the leader of
the ill-fated Donner Party whose wagon train became trapped in the
Sierra Nevada Mountains because they did not make it over the pass
before the winter snows set in.
John Jones died of
consumption (tuberculosis) at home in Lowes Canyon near San Miguel
on April 5, 1901 at age 67. He is buried in the Lowe Plot in the San
Abel Jones. 1816 - 1866.
Martha Ann Underwood. 1814 - 1872
Matilda Cecelia Rhodes Jones Hanna
(1843 - 1927)
Caroline Belle Jones Lowe (1863 -
Alexander Oliver Jones (1866 - 1897)
Martha Hester Jones Work (1872 - 1960
June 12, 1833
April 5, 1901
San Luis Obispo County
San Miguel District Cemetery
San Luis Obispo County
Plot: F.E. Lowe Plat. Grave 8 counting from south to north
John D. Curtis